Tuesday, September 2, 2008

First day of Ramadan.

Killer. A total killer. No, I'm not feeling hungry or thirsty that's killing me, but the way people are acting around me, is a killer. It's strange how in a DAY, people can transform into pious God-fearing abstaining people from NOTHING.

I've had a long lecture from my momdad, forcing me to finish the Qur'an at least once this Ramadan, a lecture from Samira about how Namaz will help me get through the fast easier, a lecture from Nazia about how I am trying to act cool by not behaving in a respectful, 'Islamic' way during Ramadan.

I don't get it. If I'm islamic, I should be that way all year, all the time! Why just these 30 days? I'm sorry, I refuse to transform myself into the 'pious' adult male of the house in a day. Yes, I respect the month and I fast as it is traditional and teaches me (somewhat) the plight of the needy heh, but that's about it. I don't need lectures on becoming a Muslim all over again. And those lectures being forgotten by the lecturers on Eid. Sigh.

4 comments:

mighty toothbrush said...

I've thought about this issue a lot. I mean a LOT. I mean, why do we have to be hypocrites by being 'Islamic' and 'pious' in Ramadan, while otherwise we're total bitches! We should be what we are regularly so that we don't 'act' in front of God. After all, He DOES know what we are lol... The answer, however, is relatively simple: if, in Ramadan, we read Qur'an, pray 5 times, don't curse, and be *good* people, then by the end of the 29 or 30 days, we'll have gotten used to this habit. or at least begun to have gotten into this habit of being nice people. So THAT is the reason we should try to be nice people.

Rizwan Takkhar said...

Well yeah I agree. But you know, maybe it's just me. But when someone FORCES me to do stuff, especially on religous issues, I don't feel like doing it anymore. I'll do anything when I feel it's the right time.

mighty toothbrush said...

Well that's fine. It's not from the heart if it's forced. If you have trouble though, you should just begin it, sometimes really boring religious things have some quite cool dimensions to them that we only discover when we do them in our free time..

Rizwan Takkhar said...

Yeah. I do stuff. But I don't like telling people about it lol. It's just how I am I guess. I mean, I think religious is personal, and I have my own little ways of feeling close to God. When I tell people, there's always some critique telling me how this is wrong and this is not okay etc. I think it's just between God and you! Hmm.